An introduction to working with people who problematically use alcohol or other drugs, what issues and harms that may result and how to respond so these may be minimised or averted.
This course is designed for participants who have recently started working in the substance use field or experienced staff who would benefit from an update to their knowledge and skills base.
The module is also suitable for staff from generic services who want to improve their understanding of working with people who use alcohol and other drugs.
By the end of the session, participants will be able to:
- recognise the current issues in the drug and alcohol field
- identify key requirements for good practice within service delivery
- describe the required skills. knowledge and attitudinal base for working with this client group
- express confidence in working with this client group
- recognise the range of services involved in meeting the needs of those affected by problematic alcohol and other drug use
- identify their own future support needs.
Drug workers. housing/homelessness workers, social workers. GPs. nurses. teachers and mental health workers.
Free within Scotland and bespoke costs for elsewhere.