Drug Related Deaths: Our Work
SDF has and is making a significant contribution towards achieving national focus on tackling deaths through:
- Offering Critical Incident (overdose prevention and emergency intervention) training and Take Home Naloxone (THN) emergency intervention training to all health boards areas across Scotland
- Supporting Alcohol and Drug Partnerships (ADPs), NHS/statutory services and Third Sector organisations in their work to reduce Drug Related Deaths through improving the availability and effectiveness of life-saving measures measures in their local area
- Contributing to the development of local frameworks to enable effective delivery of the overdose prevention (Critical Incidents) and emergency response (Critical Incidents and Take Home Naloxone) training
- Participating in national advisory work overseeing implementation of the Take Home Naloxone programe
- Developing innovative approaches to assist the implementation of the Take Home Naloxone programme
- Training our User Involvement volunteers in overdose prevention and naloxone administration techniques
- Hosting regular information-sharing and best practice events
- Ground-breaking research on issues facing high-risk Older Drug Users
- Promoting emergency responses to potential fatal outbreaks of infection among drug users.
- Our innovative Naloxone Peer Educator Initiative, support the development of local networks of peer volunteers to help widen the reach of SDF’s lifesaving Take Home Naloxone Overdose Intervention training.